Your products can be grouped together into categories, known as collections, to make them easier to manage your product range or easier for your customers to discover what you are offering. This allows a user to find quickly the right product or choose products with similar characteristics.
Foodly theme has four main collections. They might seem unusual and it is true. Not every food store divides its product range into Fresh, Frozen, Dried, Liquid. We did it on purpose because of associations our brain makes when we are trying to remember some food. For example, a user, let's call her Sarah, needs oil but she doesn't know yet which one suits best for her today's dinner. However, she knows that oil is liquid, not dried or any other state. So we will guide Sarah to the right destination where she finds what she needs.
Moreover, as a result of our user testing, we discovered that none of the users were confused or shocked with this unusual categories vice versa they felt quite comfortable switching between these categories. It is simple - categories use very easy mental models to help users to find what they are looking for.
Returning to the technical side of the collection, we recommend you to follow a step-by-step guide to create your new collection:
- Navigate to Shopify admin Products > Collections
- Click 'Create collection' button
- Type in collection name
- Write in collection description. This description is required if you are going to implement Visually Enriched Mega Menu. Hence, a microcopy for this menu will be automatically pulled out from the collection description
- Upload image to the collection. It might be any sort of icon, illustration or image. Remember, this image will be displayed in different situations. For example, All Collections page (always) and Visually Enriched Mega Menu (optional, if you enable it)
- Choose how to add products to a collection in 'Conditions' section.There are two ways how to do that:
- manually adding products to a collection ( a detailed guide is covered in Shopify help article "Add products to a single manual collection")
- automatically selecting products and conditions ( a detailed guide is covered in Shopify help article "Automated Shopify collection"
- In 'Theme templates', it's possible to choose the layout of collection page. There are two variants — grid, which is called collection and is set by default, and list, which is called collection.list.
- In 'Search engine listing preview', there are options to enhance SEO for this collection to make sure this collection is properly ranked by Google and others. To add meta information click 'Edit website SEO'. More about search engine optimization learn in Shopify article on that matter.
- Save collection
You may also take a look at Shopify instruction how to work with collections in its help guide.
If you have any suggestions on this matter don't hesitate and leave your thoughts in the comments bellow 📬 If there are any questions regarding your own store please submit a support request 🚑